Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Hueco Tanks

When i got to Hueco on the 30th of December, i was told it had snowed!
I didn't believe it!
But it was true and the first two days there was snow on the ground and some top outs were harder due to the ice on them.

Hueco in the snow

31st - I went to East Spur on the first day. Warming up was quite the challenge but once warm, and if you kept moving, you stayed warm. After warming up, I went over to Glass Roof to try it for a bit. I figured out the bottom part pretty fast, and then tried the last few moves. The last one is a pain in the butt because you put your left foot on a glassy foot. It pops off every time you try to make the move to the last hold. I tried that move several times, and I wasn't able to stick it. I called it good, and i hope to get back to it. We then moved on to the tip of the spur where Daniel tried a project. I brought my sleeping bag out, so it wasn't too cold just sitting around.

Hueco Tanks

1st - Went out to East. I didn't get out there till 2pm, so it wasn't too full of a day. But i tried Crimpin Crist - so sharp. Did a few moves on it, and it's pretty fun actually. Then we went over to Full Service. I tried a few moves on that, but couldn't make to many moves. Maybe another trip.

Sunset

2nd - Went to East again. This time with my old climbing team. Lots of fun. I tried 10-10. Did all the moves and linked it into two sections. I was too tired to try it again. Later on in the day we headed over to Julio and Me, where I refigured out some of the beta and Faus figured out some other beta. We put it together and it made the problem work. We both tried it and worked it. It should go down next time.

3rd - I took a rest day. I hadn't climbed in two weeks prior to coming to Hueco, so my body and skin are taking a beating. For my rest day activity I decided to walk to the Park from the Ranch. It took me 1 hour and 45 minutes. Once there, I watched the video to get my north mountain pass. And got onto North and hiked around a bit. It was a good rest day.

From my rest day walk

4th - Isabelle and I got onto a volunteer tour. And we headed on over to East. We first stopped at Dragonfly. Where I gave the Low to Dragonfly a few tried. I felt really close. We then went to Julio and Me, where both Faus and I got to the big throw move and both would hit the arete. So close. On my last try, I punctured a hole in my finger. A mini split. It's the first one ever in my climbing career. I was so psyched, but also kinda bummed. We then went over to 10-10. On my first try I got pretty far on it. And every try after that just got worse and worse, till I couldn't even figure out the first move again. So tired. Maybe on another day.

My finger

Today - taking another rest day. My skin hurts. Body is sore. I got two more days left in Hueco after this. I plan to head back to Glass Roof and 10-10. Hopefully they go down. Psyched!



No comments:

Post a Comment